We all heard of the fountain of youth, and how many explorers searched for this elusive oasis of water. Ponce De Leon was in search of it when he first found his way to what is now Florida. While we all would like to turn back the hands of time by bathing in a pool of water, the truth is, staying young is much like the word success, it looks a lot like hard work.
Today it might be hard to jump in a ship and sail the seven seas in hopes of finding this pond, but there is something that lays within your reach, to achieve a more youthful and vibrant life without all the excitement that long expeditions across several continents may hold.
- Stop smoking: Smoking decreases the amount of blood that gets to your skin and can cause premature wrinkles.
- Stop Drinking: Alcohol deprives the body of much-needed water, and this dehydration causes the skin to take on a leather-like appearance.
- Drink more water: Water flushes out toxins, which, when left to build up in the system, will erupt through the skin, which is trying to rid the body of them.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: These hold potent antioxidants that help cleanse the body of free radicals, which only seek to do the body, including your skin harm.
- Use a Sunscreen: While the sun is warm and inviting, too much of its rays can be harmful to the skin, and give it a tan leather-like look.
- Exercise: Whether it’s working in the garden, taking the dog for a walk, or swimming, activity gives us purpose, reduces stress, and releases happy hormones that are good for the skin.
- Chemicals: Avoid harsh chemicals that may be found in some soaps, fragrances, and makeup.
While some people have been born with better genes than others, keeping a positive outlook on life and not allowing anger and bitterness to settle in the lines of your face goes a very long way. In the words of the anonymous person, my mother used to quote “beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone, and when beauty has lost its luster, ugly holds its own.” May you have the courage to stay beautiful.