Hypothyroidism is a condition where the body does not produce enough thyroid hormone, these hormones are carried into every tissue of the body. These hormones help the body use energy, stay warm, and keeps the brain, heart, and muscles working as they should. Thyroid hormones act to increase basal metabolic rate, by regulating protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism.
Foods that help thyroid function include:
- Leafy green vegetables contain magnesium which helps thyroid function
- Coconut oil stimulates metabolism and helps raise the basal body temperature
- Seaweed is a natural source of iodine
- Sprouted seeds, Flax seeds, and Hemp Seeds contain oil that helps thyroid function
- Fish oil contains the fatty acid Omega-3 which helps thyroid function, anxiety, and depression
- Bladderwrack Fronds is an herb which helps regulate thyroid function
Foods that contain a high content of sugar hinders thyroid function. It inflames the endocrine system by causing constant insulin spikes, these continuous, intermittent spikes tire the thyroid gland and causes the gland to act sluggish.
Learning new ways to manage hypothyroidism is so essential but always remember to check with your Doctor before making any changes to your diet.