Increase The Nutrients Decrease The Calories
- Category - Health
- December 20,2018
- By Malinda
Legumes are plants in the pea family that produce pods that split open naturally along a seam, revealing a neat row of seeds.
The legume class of vegetables is very broad; it includes beans, lentils, and peas. Most legumes provide protein, fiber, iron, zinc, potassium, and magnesium along with the B vitamins.
The primary benefits of legumes are listed below:
- They are a good source of complex carbohydrates; which provide the body with energy, and because they release slowly into the bloodstream, they give your body a continuous flow of energy throughout the day.
- It supplies the body with a high amount of fiber which aids the body in remaining regular. Moreover, it helps to keep your blood sugar in check.
- Satiate food legumes make you feel full faster and are low in calories, which can help with weight loss.
- A protein known as the poor man’s meat, when eaten with nuts or grains, this combination is considered a complete protein which provides enough of all the essential amino acids.
- Legumes such as the small red kidney beans have a higher amount of antioxidants than blueberries. Antioxidants surf the bloodstream and bind up free radicals so that they are unable to harm the body.
- Heart-healthy legumes are cholesterol free and contain little to no saturated fat. They include folate, magnesium, thiamine, iron, and potassium. Choosing to replace meat with beans a few days out of the week is a good way of reducing your cholesterol, thus protecting the heart.
Food is what provides the body with the necessary energy to carry out all essential functions, while we are relying more and more on processed foods for this job. Legumes deliver a range of nutrients for fewer calories, nourishes the body and support good health.