Proverbs 20 vs. 1 (NIV)
Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.
Alcohol is a great deceiver, many people have been promised great pleasures by it, only to find that it has left them in great pain, looking foolish in the eyes of others, and open to ridicule, which is why in the days of old it was called a mocker. If you are not sure if wine and or other alcohols has become a mocker for you here are a few signs to look for:
- Do you drink alone?
- Is drinking affecting school or work?
- Do you neglect personal hygiene?
- Do you become violent when you drink?
- Is drinking starting to affect your home, marriage, or finances?
- Do you get shaky when you have not had a drink in a while?
While the vast majority of adults have drunk alcohol in their lifetime, about 20 million Americans struggle with overuse. This has an annual cost of about 250 billion dollars, and approximately 100,000 lives are lost yearly as a result.