If you have ever experienced pain and discomfort around the pelvic region, burning when urinating, feeling like you always must go, expel small amounts of urine, cloudy with a strong odor, it could be that you have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). While both men and women can have a UTI, doctors have found it is more prevalent in women due to women having a shorter urethra. This predisposes the bladder to more infections because bacteria have a shorter distance to travel to infect the bladder.
Women who are sexually active, or in menopause, or have recently changed sexual partners are more prone to have a UTI in their lifetime. Once you have seen your doctor, there are some things that you can do to help bring relief from the inconvenience and discomfort that comes with a UTI.
- Drink plenty of water: Water flushes out bacteria before it has an opportunity to cause an infection.
- Good hygiene: Girls should be taught to wipe from front to back; this decreases the chances of bacteria from the anus invading the urethra and then the bladder.
- Perfumed Products: Avoid fragrant soaps, foams, gels, and other devices which can cause irritation to the vaginal area and lead to a UTI.
- Crushed garlic: When drank as a tea, garlic contains allicin, which is a natural antibiotic.
- Oregano oil: This oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and a natural antibiotic, and is known to bring great relief from UTI discomfort.
- Cranberry Juice: Helps keep bacteria from attaching to the walls of your urethra and bladder. By consumption, it can decrease your chance of infection and lessen the amount of time you may suffer from a UTI.
While prevention is not always possible with a UTI, practicing good hygiene, staying hydrated, and leaving the tight clothes for a younger generation goes a long way. Here’s to hoping your life will be back to an even flow in no time.